gaiagal

Friday, November 11, 2005

Countdown

The Red Party is tomorrow. Today I'm doing party prep. What a nice occasion this is! Five years ago today I spent most of the day in utter shock at the crisis of the day before and my future. Then I started to cry, and that lasted for 12 hours. I was in the hospital alone, 7 days post-partum, while my husband struggled to care for the baby alone at home. Later that day, John arrived with the baby and one of my closest friends (who happens to be John's cousin). She works in the medical field, and when she wouldn't look me in the eye...that's when I knew I needed to ask some tough questions. The nurses moved me to a private room and let John and the newborn move in. We got lots of attention, they don't often see newborns or 32-year old women on that floor. My case was so serious that the Chief of cardiology came in on the weekend to take my case. He wasn't taking new patients at that time, but was interested in mine. When I had a chance, I asked the resident for more details on my prognosis. I barely absorbed what she said: There was a 50/50 chance I'd survive the situation I was in at that moment, and from there...no one (with my heart function) lives more than five years without a transplant. Even with medication. I felt better, so I did what I do best. Put my hands over my ears (la-la-la, I can't hear you!) and just got down to the business of getting to know my baby and healing my heart. I didn't even tell John about that conversation until after we knew I was going to survive. Here I am planning a party. Some fabulous friends are helping me celebrate in fun ways, I'm sure I'll have photos to share.

3 Comments:

  • At 11/11/2005 11:41:00 PM, Blogger Cait said…

    I'm glad you're still with us. You've brightened my life. I want to hear all about the red party, what people wore, food, decorations, pictures if possible.

     
  • At 11/13/2005 06:51:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    Par-tay! Yes, we want to know all the details!

    Five years on, and look at all the major changes that have happened in your life since. It just gets better and better, doesn't it? (I still don't know how you do it, though!)

     
  • At 11/13/2005 04:11:00 PM, Blogger F@ery said…

    Sorry to hear you have been through so much. Glad you've pulled through and are so happy with your life. Enjoy your party!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home