gaiagal

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Back to the regularly scheduled blogging...

Stuff I learned (or maybe remembered) this week: 1. I do NOT like shopping. Browsing through a store looking at little trinkets and knick-knacks zaps me of energy and generally annoys me. Add to the mix the kid, and this can become a situation where I have to struggle to keep my cool. This was a popular activity while my mom was here, and I tried to be pleasant. 2. The kid needs more than 9 hours of sleep. She's clever, and knows just how to manipulate a very willing-to-be-manipulated granny into telling many stories at bedtime. 3. My mom had a very difficult childhood, and I was fascinated to hear more details. A synopsis: 11 siblings, 2 bedroom farmhouse, no plumbing/electricity, a drunk father, a mother on the verge of a nervous breakdown (who wouldn't be?), her older sister and confidant died at age 18 when my mom was 16... 4. I missed my friends here.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/18/2005 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Cait said…

    Lord, your mom's childhood sounds even worse than my mom's. Youngest of 4, product of marital rape, told constantly she was unloved and unwanted, physically abused, parents who hated each other, and then the Depression. It's a wonder she's actually sane.

     
  • At 5/19/2005 02:34:00 AM, Anonymous chasmyn said…

    I always love hearing the family stories, too, although they are also filled with hardship. No deaths to speak of. That must have been just the hardest thing for your mom, losing her best friend and sister at such a trying age anyway.

    I'm not a fan of shopping, either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home