gaiagal

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A Kindred Spirit

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Mildred Cogswell Manogue
April 18, 1908 - April 13, 2005
My grandma was a remarkable woman. She graduated from college in 1927, when very few women attended. Above is her graduation photo. She wore knickers. And she loved hats. She lived all of her life in Wisconsin, as Millie Cogswell until she married my grandfather in 1930.
I realize as I sit to write this that to say she had a profound influence on me is an understatement. She was a teacher, and she taught me to read when I was in kindergarten. I got hooked a couple years later when she introduced me to Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. The series of books were my Grandma's favorites, and quickly became mine. I later became a teacher, following both Anne and Grandma. And yes, we all have red hair.
It didn't bother her a bit that I dressed differently than all the kids in high school, and had strange friends. Now looking back on the photos, I see that she likely had the same attitude as a teen. She has always been very supportive of both me and my sister. After my father's death in 1992, we became even closer. After loosing her youngest child, even though he was 53, we weren't sure how she'd survive. She showed her usual spunk and has done very well. Even last week she was scolding the nuns in the home she has been in for the last 2 years. Here she is last fall with Lily.
Everyone should be so lucky as to have such a kindred spirit in their lives. I'm grateful.

5 Comments:

  • At 4/14/2005 08:04:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    You love Anne!

    I love Anne!

    Wow!

     
  • At 4/14/2005 08:05:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    Hey, you know Lily actually resembles your Gran?

     
  • At 4/15/2005 09:42:00 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    Oh, yes, I love Anne. I can almost recite those books. I have my Gran's copies from when she was a girl. And, I went to PEI for my honeymoon!

    When Lily was born, I immediately saw my the resemblence. Her name was Millie Cogswell, and we have Lily Cogswell.

     
  • At 4/15/2005 03:28:00 PM, Blogger Cait said…

    Your gran looks a bit like me mum. I absolutely adore the Anne series. We often quote Davey "I want to know."

     
  • At 4/15/2005 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Miko said…

    Your Mum must be beautiful, Cait. Do you have any pics?

    If my own mother did only one nice thing for me, it was to introduce me to Anne when I was 9 years old. I kept that book for years. I've read the whole series, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home