gaiagal

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Cole the cat

Just returned from an emergency trip to the vet. Coletrane was diagnosed last month with asthma, and was treated with a shot of steroid. He's been fine until a few days ago, when he started wheezing. And sneezing. I researched treatment of asthmatic cats, and called the vet again. We agreed on Prednisone, a steroid, in tablet form to start. The clinic tried to charge me $40 dollars for a one month supply. What they didn't count on: a) we are a houseful of professional patients and b) one of my dearest friends is a vet tech, so everything gets run by her first. My husband takes Prednisone, in the same dosage prescribed for the cat. A month's worth costs us $3.83. So, I have a script written, and fill it at Walgreens. This is the same darn clinic that tried to sell us fluids for my cat in kidney failure at $20 a bag. We got through a bag a week. I now buy them online for $1.52 a bag. rrrrrrrr. OK, back to Cole. He was struggling to breathe today, even after 3 days of the Prednisone. After 1.5 hours and x-rays, here is the list: -collapsed trachea -collapsed lungs -respiratory infection -acute asthma No wonder he couldn't breathe. Poor baby. He came home with me, and lots of meds. I'm still a bit worried, but he seems to be feeling better now. We go back in two weeks.

5 Comments:

  • At 3/03/2005 06:54:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    Poor, poor baby. I feel so sorry for you both. Vet's fees are atrocious, aren't they? The way they take advantage of our ignorance. They must be second only to funeral directors in that respect.

    Please keep us posted about Coletrane, and Mona too.

     
  • At 3/04/2005 07:18:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    Any news? Good or bad?

     
  • At 3/04/2005 07:57:00 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    Thanks for asking, Miko.

    He's improving a bit. The mystery is the collapsed trachea, the doc has never seen it in a cat. And some sort of growth at the base of the trac where it meets the heart. I suspect that is not good news.

    He's through the crisis, still having coughing fits, but calm most of the time and purring a lot.

    I rescued all four of my cats within a few months of each other 13 years ago. It never occured to me at the time that they would all exit at the same time, too. My tiger cat died last year of an awful mouth/jaw cancer.

    Mona is hanging in there; bright-eyed and cuddly. I'm in love with that one, especially. ;)

     
  • At 3/04/2005 04:08:00 PM, Blogger Creatrix (aka Jennifer) said…

    i finally got a chance to read your blog and it's such sad news. here's wishing you and your sweet felines love and blessings. i have two precious darling kitties that i rescued and my heart breaks everytime i think of not having them near.

     
  • At 3/05/2005 01:51:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    I really think that Mona is hanging on to be close to you!

    Hi, Creatrix!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home