gaiagal

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

America Demands that Uppity Women Be Humbled Maureen Dowd, New York Times

Every culture has its own way of tamping down female power, be it sexual, political or financial. Americans like to see women who wear the pants be beaten up and humiliated. Afterward, in a gratifying redemption ritual, people like to see the battered women be rewarded.That's how Hilary Swank won two Oscars. That's how Hillary Clinton won a Senate seat and a presidential front-runner spot. And that's how Martha Stewart won her own reality TV show and became a half-billion dollars richer while she was in prison.

(via Witchvox)

4 Comments:

  • At 3/09/2005 08:47:00 PM, Blogger JohnFen said…

    That's an interesting take.

    I thought Martha Stewart was being rewarded for doing her job in distracting the nation from the fact that all the real white-collar crooks got off nearly scot-free.

     
  • At 3/10/2005 02:46:00 PM, Blogger JohnFen said…

    After I made the comment above, I realized that it came off way more callous than I meant it, but thought I'd just let it go anyway and trust that people who care what I think know me well enough to take it the right way.

    The other day, though, my ex rocked my world by cluing me into a standard male behavior that I had no idea of (until she mentioned it, and the truth of it was suddenly obvious), and I felt a little bad on behalf the male gender.

    So I thought I'd come back here and soften my comment. I was really talking about Martha Stewart in particular -- I wasn't intending to be dismissive of the oppression of women.

     
  • At 3/10/2005 07:42:00 PM, Blogger Miko said…

    I don't think you sounded callous. The "real white-collar crooks" are nearly all male, are they not?

    And don't feel a little bad on behalf of the male gender, feel a lot bad!

     
  • At 3/10/2005 07:43:00 PM, Blogger Miko said…

    "When the world ends, there will be left only a few cockroaches, Cher, Hillary and Martha."

    Love it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home