gaiagal

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

More on the bomb

I am being taken over by this adoption process. It's very exciting, having this feeling of potential that didn't exist until a few weeks ago. We had hoped to have several children, and the plan obviously changed when I acquired a serious heart disease, and my daughter was diagnosed with a serious heart defect. Since her birth, I've been OK the with 'no more kids' concept. Some women with my disease attempt pregnancy again, and come through it without issue. Others have impaired heart function. Others die. My cardiologist strongly advised us not to go down that road. I had a strange sort of crush on him, as he had helped in my survival, and a tremendous respect for his opinion. So, his opinion, along with my desire to hang around here with my sweet little family, keep me from attempting to carry a pregnancy. I've researched (at length) domestic and international adoption, and had phone interviews with several agencies two years ago. One would not consider us as parents because of our medical conditions. Apparently "cardiomyopathy, 2 kidney transplants," on the potential parents doesn't look great on paper. Another was ready to take us on for an adoption from Haiti, but the orphanage there required us to sign a paper stating that "Jesus is the one and only true...blah, blah....." You get the picture. The woman at the agency actually encouraged me to sign it, saying that no one would know. Somehow, I don't want to enter into a new relationship based on me lying. Finally, it was my husband who suggested pursuing it again. This time it's going to happen. We are still considering an international adoption, but we need to choose an agency and country. I'm fairly confident he'll come to the same conclusion I have(I know which agency/country I'd like), but I need to let him go through the process without pressure. I'm accepting any creative fundraising / financing ideas, and names. I always wanted to name a kid Rowan. But Rowan Toomey is a bit too nautical, don't you think?

4 Comments:

  • At 2/09/2005 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Lester said…

    Rowan Toomey is beautiful! But maybe I am biased since Rowan is on our list of names. We have 13 girl names and 3 boy names...I'll pass the list along.
    This is incredible!!! Mmmm.. fundraising, I will put my thinking cap on!

     
  • At 2/09/2005 06:04:00 PM, Blogger chasmyn said…

    I am so happy for you! I learned when we were researching that some employers will assist in finances. And there is a $10K adoption tax credit you can get for adoption as well. Some people refinance their homes...

     
  • At 2/10/2005 09:43:00 PM, Blogger Miko said…

    What wonderful, wonderful news! I can hardly wait! How much does the little unicorn know? It's funny you should mention the name Rowan, as I've just finished reading Anne Rice's "The Witching Hour" and the main character - a gifted surgeon -is named Rowan. I also like the name Bonnie for a girl, and for a boy, name him John after his Dad or some variant thereof, such as Sean.

    Is it very expensive to adopt?

     
  • At 2/10/2005 11:46:00 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Thanks everyone!

    Lester...you have to say "Rowan Toomey" out loud a few times. ha!

    Chasmyn...we are self-employed, and we will be assiting ourselves. ;)

    Miko....I'm a Anne Rice fan, too. I had a cat named Rowan, acquired before the book was written. I also have Mona (the neice of Rowan in the series), also named before that character showed up. Have you read the vampire books?

    The little unicorn knows what's going on, and wants a girl and to name her Lily. Lily1 and Lily2. For an international adoption, we are facing a 17,000-30,000 price tag, depending on country and program.

    Are many children adopted in Japan?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home