gaiagal

Saturday, January 15, 2005

S&M Activities

You may not guess this about me, but I love to dance. Salsa and merengue in particular. I have a few friends that I can occasionally coax into attempting to salsa (these are not easy dance moves for gringos), and we went out last night. First to a new bar in Hartford called Barcelona, which we heard had "Latin Night" on Fridays. Well, it's a nice bar, but their version of Latin night was a Spanish language rock band, and not a very good one at that. So we headed off to Azucar (the now favorite dance spot in town) for some dancing. I love the club, the music, the Mojitos, and all those sweaty people dancing. It's also very refreshing to know that if one is asked to dance, it is not an evening commitment. It's simply a dance. We were the only gringas in the place, and I'm so pleased that my friends enjoy the music and club so much, too. Really. Imagine me trying to get another suburban white mom to come with me. "Come on! They play only salsa, merengue, cumbia. I'll give ya a lesson before we go. No, it's safe...they search everyone as they come in. It'll be great!" I took a month's worth of salsa/merengue lessons while in Spain about 10 years back, and got hooked. I ended up as the instructor's assistant to demonstrate moves for all of his classes. He was Colombian, and a fabulous dancer. I am not quite so fabulous, but I can follow lead well, and I have no fear. I really enjoy Albita's music. Listen long enough to hear her voice. Wow. If you want to learn the basics of salsa and / or merengue dancing, check out this site.

3 Comments:

  • At 1/17/2005 07:30:00 AM, Blogger Lester said…

    Ohhh that sounds amazing!!! When I am post pardem, PLEASE ask me to tag along. I would be in heaven!!!!!

     
  • At 1/18/2005 06:41:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    Ooh, salsa is big, big, big in Japan! I even went to a "salsa bar" one night, but could do nothing but sit and watch in amazement.

     
  • At 1/20/2005 09:30:00 AM, Blogger krista said…

    "Imagine me trying to get another suburban white mom to come with me. " - Hey! Now, come on...I...that's...okay, fine. Hahaha! Actually, I'd love to go sometime, except that I can't dance. Seriously. Not even to the Wiggles. I can drink though, how about that?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home