gaiagal

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Please wake me when it's over

Is there some odd astrological thing happening? I've felt in a haze for the past week, and with the unexpected bad news from friends, I was hoping this week would look better. Well, Sunday ended with my kid looking like a Klingon. She was sledding with dad in the back yard, and he pushed her tube sled right into a fence post. She bounced off, and stuck the corner of said post with her forehead. Her entire forehead, even eyebrows, were swollen. John felt understandably terrible about having propelled his daughter to a head injury, and was grumpy and a bit panicky. So, like usual, one of us stayed calm. OK, usually it is only one of us that is calm, but to this point, it had never been me. I spoke with the pediatrician and got the list of things to look for, and pulled out the directions to the local children's hospital. We had to wake her every couple of hours and be sure she was coherent. I found myself doing that strange bargaining with the universe...."please, let her be OK, I'll never complain about playing Chutes and Ladders again...." She's fine. Proudly showing off her deformity at preschool Monday morning. Monday started with finding my large black kitty Coletrane breathing rapidly. Of course, all I could think of was 'heart failure'. And that I'm way overdue for his vaccines, and what I lousy pet owner I am. One emergency vet visit and $300 later, Coletrane and I are home with an asthma diagnosis. We are going to treat him with inhalers. I've never heard of such a thing, but you can be sure that if there is a strange ailment out there, some being who lives with me will get it. Today, you ask? How about a little pink eye? Me, of course. I'm not positive that is what is happening, but my eye is red and gooey. Disgusting. Add to it a dose of monthly cramps and bad attitude. I'm headed for a nice bath and early bedtime tonight. I'm sure that is best for everyone in the house.

4 Comments:

  • At 1/13/2005 06:48:00 PM, Blogger Miko said…

    Weird friend stuff going on: yep, yep, yep (even had to be bailed out by JohnFen, the sweetie!). Ben's vet fees so far this week: $370 and counting. Raging pinkeye: been there, done that (over the new year, in fact). Big bump on head: Sonbeam tripped and fell over at school a couple of days ago, and now sports a neat white bandage on his forehead. Naturally I went ballistic.

    Clearly I'm a lousy mother, a lousy pet owner, and a lousy friend! Is it an astrological thing, or is it our age, or what?

    Give the little unicorn a kiss for me! Kids all do stuff like that, it would be strange if they didn't, believe me. Boys are 50,000 times worse! Ask anyone.

     
  • At 1/14/2005 09:51:00 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    We're leading parallel lives! When is your birthday? Maybe we're sisters? I am searching for a 'lost' sister, you know. It's one of those juicy family secrets that is not spoken. (expect, obviously, by me) I have been hoping that it is Tori Amos, but it would be even better if it were YOU! ;)

    I'm hoping that Ben is home with you today.

     
  • At 1/14/2005 06:39:00 PM, Blogger Miko said…

    My birthday is April 22nd (1968). When's yours? I did in fact have a sister who turned up out of the blue in my teens! That was pretty juicy. I'm on my way to visit Ben now. Thanks for your kind wishes, Dawn! How's the little Klingon doing?

     
  • At 1/15/2005 08:51:00 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    July 22, 1968. I just found out about the sister after my father died in 1992. Funny, the things they forgot to mention. My half sister would be somewhere between 6 -18 months older than me, we think. I tracked down her mother a couple of years ago, and she denied the girl's existence.

    The Klingon had another head injury last night, hit her head on the bathtub. New bruise.

    Gonna go check your blog for news on Ben!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home