gaiagal

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Another gift?

A box arrived in the mail today from my father-in-law. Before I explain what is in the box, you need to understand a bit about the gift-giver. John went 15 years or so without speaking to him, so their relationship is less than ideal. A few examples, and you'll get the picture: John had his first kidney transplant in 1989, and the surgery was immediately followed by a rejection/infection episode, and shortly after the disease took over the kidney. He spent 3 months in the hospital. Dad never visited. Our daughter was 5 months old before he ever met her. He stopped by one day last week to pick up something he left at the holiday party. He never even asked to see her. He did attend Lil's birthday party this year, and gave her a card wishing her a happy 5th birthday. We aren't really bothered by him, mostly we chuckle. He does have a habit of making LOUD racial slurs at every gathering, which I have taken to calling him out on. And he has been making more of an effort in his own odd way. I could write a book, but you get the general idea. Back to the box. It contained holiday gifts. 3 red polo shirts embroidered with the name of my father-in-law's yacht. I've visited the boat only once. It strikes me as odd to give a gift personalized to the gift-giver, not the recipient. And the idea that I would have a polo shirt, never mind red, with a large boat's name covering my left breast, is sorta silly. Take a look. I don't know what the name stands for. I am hopeful that the shirts were given in the spirit of sharing his boat, not that we are to become crew.

2 Comments:

  • At 1/05/2005 06:11:00 PM, Blogger theBlueSmokeBand said…

    On the topic of strange gifts: broken bongo drums that smell of urine, a board game (minus the game board and covered in dust) that my lovely fiancee used to play as a kid (not a new version of the old game -- the SAME game), and a re-gifted snowman candle wrapped in last year's paper -- you could tell because they turned the paper inside out, but left someone else's gift label on it in.

    The Polo shirt is hideous. However, intrigued by what appears to be a gross missssspellqinngth of "Pos570" (whatever that might mean), I looked up "POSSLQ":

    http://www.bartleby.com/61/58/P0465800.html

    The American Heritage dictionary defines it thus:

    "ABBREVIATION: person of the opposite sex sharing living quarters."

    If I were you Dawn, never get near that damned boat.....

     
  • At 1/06/2005 06:19:00 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Yes, good advice Bri. You got some interesting gifts, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home