gaiagal

Monday, December 27, 2004

Another loss for the CHD community

Dr. Drummond-Webb, a pediatric cardiothoratic surgeon and pioneer in the congenital heart defects world, died yesterday. He was 45 years old. He was the first to implant a left venticular assist device in a child just a few months ago. He was a gifted surgeon, loved by patients and their parents. He was one of the only surgeons who performed the surgery to repair a defect like my daughter has. (There are only 3 documented cases of Lily's problem currently living in the US , 48 documented cases ever) Lily had her surgery in Boston, but when I joined an online support list, I met another mom with a son who has a very similar defect to Lily. His repair was done by Dr. Drummond-Webb. Here I am painting the picture of my connection to him, but anyone who loves someone with a heart defect has a connection to this man. He has saved many, many children, and allowed even more a chance at a longer, happier life. I can't imagine the stress of his job. I'm so saddened by his death. AHA's Fact Sheet on Congenital Heart Defects My favorite site for explaining CHD to the non-cardiologically inclined Read about some families affected by CHD I hold Chasmyn responsible for getting me addicted to blogging, and we met through a support list for parents of CHDers. Read about her sweet boy Quinn.

2 Comments:

  • At 12/28/2004 01:33:00 AM, Blogger chasmyn said…

    I can't believe he killed himself. This is so, so sad, and such a great loss for the children. He sounds like such an amazing doctor and surgeon.

     
  • At 1/01/2005 01:05:00 AM, Blogger tamboz said…

    Dr. Drummond-Webb performed surgery on my daughter this past Nov. and he was such a dynamic force to be reckoned with, so larger than life, that it is hard for me to believe he's really gone. What a shame that a life so full of purpose to have ended so tragically. I pray the Saviour will have mercy on this "saver of hearts".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home