gaiagal

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

What's happening in Texas?

I just heard a news piece on a mother in Texas who cut off her daughter's arms. For some reason, they played the 911 call, in which the very calm mom explained what she had done to her 11 month old baby, and then refused to do anything to help her. When the police arrived, they found the mother sitting on the couch, covered in blood. She now faces murder charges. Andrea Yates, who drown her 5 children in the tub, was also from Texas. I am so disturbed by these cases, I can't dwell on them. Will Texas become famous for the murdering moms? A list of other moms who kill. Several more from Texas.... For the record, I know one seemingly sane and rather witty woman from Texas. Her name is Cait, and you can read her blog here. It is shared with Miko, offering a very entertaining perspective of life from Japan. Opposite ends of the planet. Now, lest you Texans think I'm lumping you all together with the homicidal parents, let me state that I am from Wisconsin, home of the best cooks. They would be Ed Gein, and Jeffrey Dahmer. So far, coming from the same area hasn't changed my food habits.

2 Comments:

  • At 11/25/2004 07:22:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    A few months ago an acquaintance confided to me that she had recognised one of those women from her hometown. They'd even met and spoken briefly at a church gathering, some time ago! She was embarrassed about all these weird cases happening in Texas (they receive huge publicity in this country), but I've noticed a similar cluster effect here in certain parts of Japan, too. On the positive side, Cait is one of the best mothers I know, if her kids are anything to go by!

     
  • At 11/30/2004 07:17:00 AM, Blogger Cait said…

    Well, thanks for the nice words, Dawn. And you, too, Miko. I think part of the reason we have more weirdos in Texas is simply that we have a huge population. That explains some of it, anyway. I don't know what's with the bad mom thing though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home