gaiagal

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Is the US ready to pig out?

Yes, it's true. In Peru they eat guniea pigs. About 65 million each year. Having several Peruvian friends, I know this to be true. Some households keep the animals in cages right in the kitchen until they are ready to be prepared. To read more about the possibility of the country exporting this food, click here.
I've never tried guinea pig. I enjoy eating the local fare while traveling. I've tried lots of interesting foods, but the one that made me most uncomfortable was percebes in Spain. They are a very expensive type of barnacle considered a delicacy in Spain. I shudder just thinking about them now. They resemble some part of an elephant....maybe toes? Have you tried any unusual foods?

2 Comments:

  • At 10/20/2004 01:27:00 AM, Blogger JohnFen said…

    I don't know what I ate, but it sure was unusual. I used to work with a graduate student from China. When it came time for her to go back, she prepared a huge meal for everyone, consisting of little more than Chinese delicacies (which is code for "weird stuff"). I recognized much of it. Thousand year eggs are obvious (and disgusting).

    There was one dish in particular that was extremely yummy. On first sight, you could mistake it for angelhair pasta -- but it wasn't. Everyone had multiple servings of that one. We asked her what it was and she replied "I'm not going to tell you. You'll stop thinking it's delicious if I do."

     
  • At 10/25/2004 01:23:00 AM, Blogger Miko said…

    You ain't seen weird food till you've lived in Japan!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home