gaiagal

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

8th Grade Activist

Rachel Morris just wants to be left alone, sitting in her seat in eighth grade. But it was sitting during the Pledge of Allegiance that got her in trouble in the first place. Read the whole article on the Wisconsin girl here. As a former WI activist girl myself, I love this kid. I was nearly suspended in high school for protesting the US army recruiting at our school. I sat in the school commons with my signs, and refused to go to the assembly where they told us about the fabulous career awaiting us in the armed forces.(I was later actually suspended for wearing long underwear under a kilt. No showing of undergarments in any form at school, despite WI temps) My first year teaching, I helped an 8th grader in her fight with the administration over her pink hair. She won, and her hair was many more colors over the course of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home