gaiagal

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Phantom stairs

We lived in a 1.5 story house when I was growing up. Here, on the east coast, we call that type of house a "Cape". But that house was in Wisconsin. There were 3 bedrooms on the second floor, one for me, one for my sis, and another for my parents. And a small bathroom with only a tub. After living there a number of years, my parents finished and put a shower in the basement. Here is where our olive green and black bean bag chairs were, the Atari game, a VCR, and our old living room furniture. My house was the one where many of my friends would spend time. We watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre over and over ("look what yer brother did to the door!") , spent endless hours playing Frogger and Pong, smoked a lot of pot...you know, the usual teenage activities. The point is: I spent a lot of time in the basement. The back porch door opened up into the house about 3/4 of the way up the basement stairs. There was a landing there, and then 4 stairs up into the main area of the house. Or, 8 steps down into the basement. From the bottom of the stairs, I became very adept at climbing the stairs 2 by 2, incorporating the landing as well. I climbed those stairs countless times, so much so that the pattern is embedded in my muscles. These days, if I'm at all distracted while going up a staircase, I'll get all tripped up after the 7th step, expecting a landing there, I guess. Did it today, and dropped a box of Leggo-type blocks. All 600 of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home