gaiagal

Sunday, July 18, 2004

A magical (true) story

Last summer my friend India came for dinner.  It was the 4th of July, and we sat on the deck watching my husband build a playhouse for my daughter.  India wore a blue sundress.  She almost always wore black or dark colors, so I was surprised to see how beautiful she looked in this color.  She often wore necklaces, so I suggested that she should have a blue necklace because the color showed off her eyes so well.   India went off to Spain with her sons for a couple of weeks, and my daughter Lily and I shopped for the perfect necklace.  We found a big chunk of lapis lazuli wrapped in silver.  Somehow, we kept forgetting to give it to India.  India was the kind of friend who could drop by unannounced at anytime and simply jump into whatever was happening in our family.  And she did so often.  But all summer we did not remember to give her the lapis.   In November, she babysat for Miss Lily one evening so that we could attend a surprise 40th birthday party.  Lily remembered excitedly that we had a gift for India.  We were all in my bedroom, and India and Lily sat on the Victorian couch.  She loved the pendant, and reached for her necklace to attach it.  She said, "oh, I seem to have lost the chain I had on."  I had an extra silver chain, so I gave it to her.  The blue color made her eyes dance.   We went off to the party, and Lily and India stayed home.  They had a full moon ritual on our deck....made special by the lunar eclipse that occurred that night.  I still have the water they blessed under the moon that night.  We were home by 11:00pm, and India went off to a party.   The next day she drove her oldest son Nick to the New Haven train station so he could return to Fordham University after a weekend visit.  As she was returning to Hartford, she drove onto the median and struck a tree.  Her neck was broken, and she died shortly after being flown to Hartford Hospital.  She was wearing the necklace.   I don't know why, but the necklace became a huge focus for me.  I couldn't stop thinking about it.  Several things were missing from the accident scene that I thought should be there:  the necklace, her cell phone, and her tarot cards.  Yes, the scene was hectic and violent...any of those things could be easily lost.  But I was so hung up on the necklace.   Somehow we all survived the following week of gatherings, services, grieving, and confusion.  I held up quite well.  I almost felt like a hostess at her wake...I know so many people from different parts of her life.  I actually enjoyed connecting with everyone in spite of the fact that my best friend lay in a coffin at the front of the room.   I saw the accident report, no mention of the missing items.  I couldn't let it go.  I decided to cast a spell and call out to the universe to help me locate the necklace.  Really, I didn't need to have it so much as I wanted to be sure that someone was taking care of it.  (I practice magic, and often did so with India.  I've been pagan since the age of 16. )  Now, I've been casting spells and moving energy for 20 years....I do have a feel for it. It isn't often that I call out for something so personal and specific.  In my grief, I wasn't very careful with my words.  I called out 'to find India's lost necklace'.   On Christmas day, we cancelled plans to attend a party and stayed home.  It was a balmy 50 degrees, so we played in the backyard.  Lily made mud sculptures on the side of her playhouse while we finally got around to putting the deck wicker away.  As we move the table, something shiny caught my eye.  It was a necklace!  Not the one we gave to India, but the one she had mentioned loosing earlier.  What a gift!  The clasp was broken, and it must have fallen out of her clothes while she and Lily were doing the full moon ritual on the deck.   Here is the necklace. I don't buy into 'everything happens for a reason'.  But maybe we humans can find reason in most things that happen?     

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home