gaiagal

Sunday, July 04, 2004

Herbs

Had a few moments alone this afternoon to work on the yard and herb garden. I'm not thrilled with how the herbs are doing this year....but I am keeping a journal of what is working and not so that next year things will improve. The most controversial herb I have is comfrey, but I'm thinking of removing it because the puppy keeps chewing on it. My favorite herb is the nasturium, especially after a rainfall. I just found out that it is my Grandmother's favorite plant, too. The flowers are beautiful in a salad; yellow, orange and red. A wren family lives in the garden as well. The babies left the nest on Summer Solstice, the same as last year. I wonder if it is the same family that has returned? It is a busy spot for a nest, right at the bottom of the stairs from the deck and my daughter and I are constantly playing in the garden. I have plans to make holiday gifts with dried herbs again. Last year I make smudge sticks with sage, dream pillows with lavendar, and comfrey oil (knitbone) for healing. We made stepping stones this week for the garden to help Lily figure out where she can stand. I will mark out the directions. Someday I'd like to learn about what plants correspond with the directions and elements. Now I'm learning about medicinal and cosmetic uses. In August I'm attending a day-long workshop with Susun Weed. She is an intense woman, self-educated and very opinionated. I'm looking forward to meeting her as I've been reading her columns in several publications for years.

1 Comments:

  • At 7/10/2004 01:58:00 PM, Blogger niqkita said…

    Lovely! my garden is one of my favorite places to spend time and I've been thinking about making stepping stones too and now I think I should add a bird house...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home